After last year’s flailing ratings and less than happy viewers and this week’s news that Jessie J and Sir Tom Jones will reportedly not be returning for series 2 while try outs in Birmingham attracted the grand number of just 5 hopefuls, it leaves us posing the question, should the BBC just ditch The Voice now?
The Voice was billed as the show to take over the reins from The X Factor and so it should have. With The X Factor becoming less of a must watch, the BBC had the right moment in time to capture the audience however, although it started well, it was the results show which really killed the buzz.
The results show was, like The X Factor, held the day after the Saturday show but unlike ITV’s hit show, the results show was not live. It wasn’t just not live but everyone knew it wasn’t live and yet the hosts and judges kept up the facade of pretending it was live on the Sunday while it was actually pre-recorded on the Saturday straight after the first show. They talked in the present tense referring to last night’s show and even changed their outfits to try and fool the audience.
Let me tell you this now, the audience does not like to be taken for a fool.
Add to that the silly V-room with Reggie Yates who by the way, why was he even a host? It seemed that Holly Willoughby got pretty much 90% of the hosting airtime and could have hosted the show solo.
The US version of the show is a big hit and we do like out reality music shows over here but are the BBC just not cut out for this kind of show? Does anyone remember their attempts at it with Fame Academy? You know, the one that gave us Lemar?
We think that the BBC should ditch The Voice unless they come up with some huge overhauls in the show. Here’s what we think they need to do:
1) We like the spinning chairs, for some reason when they stopped spinning round, it became less fun. More spinning chairs!
2) Less agreement from the judges. We like controversy and we like the arguments. Less nicey nice, more mean.
3) Let us get to know the contestants better. Part of the reason we love The X Factor contestants so much is that we’re given more of an opportunity to get to know the contestants. From auditions to live shows, we’ve already seen, and we know this is old, but we have seen their journey. We like journeys.
4) LIVE results show. We can’t emphasise how important this one is while it’ll also probably allow for more votes as well.
5) Get rid of the V-Room, it’s not needed.
6) Either give Reggie Yates more work to do or get rid of him.
What do you think? Should the BBC quit now or do you have more suggestions on how they can make a better show out of a good concept?